Sunday, July 19, 2009

FEAR

I was running. It was dark. As much as it scared me, I appreciated the lack of light that hid the stupid tears running down my face. My heart was racing. The beat every step my feet made competed with the pounding in my chest. My breath began to scatter, my lungs were freaking out, I coughed in the hopes that it would get rid of whatever was slowing my pace.
I saw figures on my right. They were blurred and by their drunken movements and steps, I could tell they weren't safe. Through their drunken whispers and their lack of ability to walk in a straight line, I knew I had to get away. I fought every tear, refusing to be drowned in the salty sea of weakness. I was confused. Lost.
The tears of pain could have been mistaken for tears of fear. Maybe I was trying to wrap the prior pain with the present fear. That way no one will ever know. Honestly, this fear did not have the ability to overtake the pain. But it was a good enough cover.
I continued to run away, escape from the strangers. This night was going to end fine. I knew everything was going to be okay. I knew safety would just be around the corner.
I caught the glimpse of company and safety. I saw the number plate. I ran faster and harder towards the vehicle. But it drove away, turning the corner. A blanket of relief fell upon me, I felt the lonely coldness slowly evaporate. But as I turned the corner and looked down the street, it was gone. The car was gone. I continued to run without purpose now, I just knew I had to appear like I had reason and destination. I turned back for a split second, hoping to see a familiar face or anything that didn't present itself coated with red danger. I saw a dark dislocated figure, his every step was filled with pain and his every movement was flawed. I couldn't help but turn around and stare at the terrible image that presented himself as a threat. I felt a rush. I'm not sure what it was. Adrenaline? Fear? Excitement? But whatever it was, with it I ran faster and the cold wind bruised my skin as I fought against its path. The wind resisted as hard as I resisted the tears falling down my face, like pathetic raindrops falling on a window.

No comments: